“You requested, dear friend, that we trace in outline for you what the perfect life is [...][but] It is beyond my power to encompass perfection in my treatise[...]"

“You requested, dear friend, that we trace in outline for you what the perfect life is. Your intention clearly was to translate the grace disclosed by my word into your own life, if you should find in my treatise what you were seeking. I am at an equal loss about both things: It is beyond my power to encompass perfection in my treatise or to show in my life the insights of the treatise. And perhaps I am not alone in this. Many great men, even those who excel in virtue, will admit that for them such an acccomplishment as this is unattainable.” (De Vita Moysis, p. 30)

Populære opslag fra denne blog

Nein!(?) A negative "point of contact" in the Epistle to Diognetus?

Why "contra fatum"?